Monday 30 April 2012

Steps, The O2, London, 19th April 2012

Before this gig when I told people I was seeing Steps I was met by laughs, jeers and just basic disbelief.

Thing is a lot of their songs remind me of when I was younger and at school as they rose to fame in the late 90s when I was in my early teens.
My sister was a massive fan and so was my gig friend.

I will admit I was excited about this gig and when I saw our seats I was quite happy, we were at the front of a block on the side and had a great view.

The band had two support acts Shock Lady who was poor, just singing covers but she had an MC Mr Smith with her who was excellent.
Then there was another woman, I can't remember her name she was foreign and mimed...plain awful!

Anyway the crowd weren't here for them, they were here for Steps, and when they played a montage of the 'good' old days the crowd went crazy, well if you have seen the Living show you will know they all hated each other.

Then they came on through tubes to Here and Now and the O2 went mental.

I will admit though that I was surprised how many gay guys there were, I knew Steps were camp but I didn't realise just how large their gay audience was.

The band played all the hits complete with dance moves, my sister didn't realise they had so many, I on the other hand could remember the moves for One for Sorrow, Better Best Forgotton and Deeper Shade of Blue.

I have never been to a gig with such an electric atmosphere with everyone dancing, when the band performed Tragedy it was great to see everyones hands in the air dancing the dance moves.

Each of the singers also had a go at a solo performance., I'm sorry but Lisa mimed, her mouth kept moving but no sound came out. Faye's was very camp but fantastic, and Lee's was excellent, I never realised what a great voice he had. Of course Claire just blew everyone away with her superb voice.

We did have a laugh and my sister really enjoyed her second gig ever, although we found out that they were filming it for the Living show I just hope we aren't on there dancing like crazy people.

Steps were just fantastic, cheesy and a whole lot of dancing and laughs.

Ok so they may not be the coolest band I have seen but they were funny and it felt like a girls night out. I just hope the Living show doesn't show them at each others throats.



Set List

* Here and Now
* You'll be Sorry
* Deeper Shade of Blue
* Last Thing on My Mind
* Better Best Forgotton
* 5, 6, 7, 8
* Summer of Love
* Better the Devil you Know
* Lee solo - Moves Like Jagger & Rihanna's S&M
* Faye solo - One Night Only
* H solo - Don't Stop Believing
* Lisa solo - Heaven/Lately/Beautiful People (yes Lately Lisa's own song)
* Claire solo - I Surrender
* It's the Way You Make Me Feel
* Heartbeat
* When I said Goodbye
* One for Sorrow

Encore
* Stomp
* Chain Reaction
* Dancing Queen
* Tragedy

No comments:

Post a Comment